Monday, February 14, 2011

The Best Albums of 2010

Last year I published my first ever Best Albums list, although music has played an important role in my life since high school. This year I feel I’ve compiled a list much more representative of the music I generally listen to a great deal. Dark doom and stoner albums dominated last year’s list, while this year is more spread out in terms of genre. I’ve included no less than four soundtrack albums in this year’s list, which is explained by the main topic of this blog, a grand obsession with movies. You won’t see a lot of mainstream music here, but hopefully I can point you toward something you might not have considered before. I’ve also included links to my five favorite websites to visit over the past year, because I don’t really have any other place to make those public. You can preview or purchase any of these albums by clicking on the "Dropped" date link under each title.

1. Crazy Heart Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Various Artists

2. Club Jazz Digs Lupin the Third
Various Artists

3. Free Blank Shots
Wallace Vanborn

4. Restored to One
Sabbath Assembly

5. Brothers
The Black Keys

6. The Besnard Lakes are the Roaring Night
The Besnard Lakes

7. The Wild Hunt
The Tallest Man on Earth

8. My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky
Swans

9. Inception Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Hans Zimmer

10. Metallic Spheres
The Orb featuring David Gilmour

11. The Fear is Excruciating. But Therein Lies the Answer.
Red Sparowes

12. Wilderness Heart
Black Mountain

13. The Social Network
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

14. Éscailles de lune
Alcest

15. Tron Legacy Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Daft Punk

16. Run Thick in the Night
U.S. Christmas

17. Absolute Dissent
Killing Joke

18. The Threshingfloor
Wovenhand

19. Diamond Eyes
Deftones

20. Black Rock
Joe Bonamassa

Special Jury Prize
I’ve chosen to give out two special jury prizes this year. The first is not a full-length album but contains my favorite single track of the year, “Teeth and Claws”. The second was released in a digital only format at the very end of 2009. I did not get a good chance to listen to it before my Best Albums of 2009 list was published, but it certainly would’ve been included on that list had I heard it. Since it wasn’t released on CD and Vinyl formats until 2010, I took that as an excuse to include it on this year’s list. It’s one of the best cover albums I’ve heard.

BXI
Boris & Ian Astbury

The Dark Side of the Moon
The Flaming Lips &Stardeath and White Dwarfs with Henry Rollins and Peaches

Favorite five websites of the year:
Hyperbole and a Half

No comments: