Saturday, January 07, 2012

Eleven Albums for ‘11


I’m a movie man. I understand film. Music, I love even though I don’t understand it. This is not a music criticism site, but I love music so much that each year I feel the need to let people know what music I loved best that year. Here’s this year’s list of my favorite albums.


1.

Smoke Ring for My Halo
 by Kurt Vile
Matador Records
Dropped March 8

2.

No Help for the Mighty Ones
by Subrosa
Profound Lore
Dropped March 1

3.

Father, Son, Holy Ghost
by Girls
True Panther Sounds
Dropped September 13

4.

Deep Politics
by Grails
Temporary Residence
Dropped March 8

5.

‘Drive’ Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
score by Cliff Martinez
songs by Various Artists
Lakeshore Records
Dropped October 11

6.

Undun
by The Roots
Def Jam
Dropped December 6

7.

‘The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo’ Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
The Null Corporation
Dropped December 9 (digital) December 27 (CD)

8.

‘Sucker Punch’ Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
by Various Artists
WaterTower Music
Dropped March 22

9.

What I Became
by Matt Valentine
Woodsist
Dropped June 14 (digital & vinyl only)

10.

Hisingen Blues
by Graveyard
Nuclear Blast America
Dropped April 19

11.

Shoot!
by Hedvig Mollestad Trio
Rune Grammofon
Dropped November 8

I put together a downloadable digital mix a couple years back, but that was a hell of a lot of work for someone who doesn’t do that type of thing all the time. So, here’s a list of individual tracks I loved this year. I’ve included their source albums. Go find ‘em.

28 Tracks of 2011

“Immigrant Song” Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Karen O (from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

“Party Boy” Boris (from New Album)

“House Carpenter” Subrosa (from No Help for the Mighty Ones)

“Rocky” The Lonely Island (from Turtleneck & Chain)

“Jesus Fever” Kurt Vile (from Smoke Ring for My Halo)

“Rise Above” Reeve Carney featuring Bono & The Edge (from Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark Original Broadway Cast Recording)

“Ladies” Lee Fields & The Expressions (from My World)

“Hanna’s Theme (vocal version)” The Chemical Brothers (from Hanna Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

“Solitaire” Yes (from Fly From Here)

“Without You” Eddie Vedder (from Ukulele Songs)

“Make My” The Roots featuring Big K.R.I.T & Dice Raw (from Undun)

“Little Black Submarines” The Black Keys (from El Camino)

“Zombie Christmas” Emmy the Great & Tim Wheeler (from This Is Christmas)

“Deep Snow” Grails (from Deep Politics)

“Stone’s Gone Up” David Lynch (from Crazy Clown Time)

“Speak Into the Rose” Wilco (from Speak Into the Rose EP)

“The Keeper” Chris Cornell (from Songbook and Machine Gun Preacher Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

“Forgiveness” Girls (from Father, Son, Holy Ghost)

“Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” Emily Browning (from Sucker Punch Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

“Common Burn” Mazzy Star (from untitled 2012 studio album)

“On a Plain” The Album Leaf (from Come As You Are: 20th Anniversary Tribute to Nirvana’s Nevermind)

“Hisingen Blues” Graveyard (from Hisingen Blues)

“New Year’s Eve” Tom Waits (from Bad As Me)

“Redford/Possibility/Will to Power/Finality” The Roots (from Undun)

“Walk Don’t Rango” Los Lobos featuring Arturo Sandoval (from Rango Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

No comments: