Friday, March 16, 2018

My Favorite Music of 2017, part 1


-->
2017 was one of the better years for music I can remember. Well, I should probably qualify that. It is a year in which I personally have been able to immerse myself in music more fully than I have in quite some time. Every year that I come around to making this list, I always start out thinking I’d like to say something about each of my entries. There are two reasons that I don’t. The first is that I’ve chosen 20 albums and 10 shorter format entries for this list and this is only part one. These are my popular music choices, while part two will consist of movie soundtrack entries. Were I to write about all 50 entries on this list, I’d be writing for most of 2018, and it’s already the middle of March. The second reason I don’t write about the music is that after going full bent on my favorite sounds for the past couple of months, I’ve come to the conclusion that the music really speaks for itself. This is my favorite music of 2018 (all in no particular order).

Albums

Bay Head
Gunn-Truscinski Duo
Three Lobed Recordings
November 3

Drunk
Thundercat
Brainfeeder
February 24

The Dream
Tashaki Miyaki
Metropolis Records
April 7

Invocation and Ritual Dance of My Demon Twin
Julie’s Haircut
Rocket Recordings
February 24

Everybody Works
Jay Som
Polyvinyl Records
March 10

Luciferian Towers
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Constellation
September 22

Horse Follows Darkness
Delia Gonzalez
DFA Records
May 5

Waiting on a Song
Dan Auerbach
Nonesuch
June 2

We All Want the Same Thing
Craig Finn
PTKF
March 24

Lotta Sea Lice
Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile
Matador
October 13

World Eater
Blanck Mass
Sacred Bones Records
March 3

Soul of a Woman
Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings
Daptone
November 17

Infinite Worlds
Vagabon
Father/Daughter Rec
February 24

Lemon Memory
Menace Beach
Memphis Industries
January 27

Lo Tom
Lo Tom
Barsuk Records
July 17

Matterhorn
Heaters
Beyond Beyond Is
October 20

Quantum Gate
Tangerine Dream
Kscope
September 29

Changer
Fred Thomas
Polyvinyl Records
January 27

Is This the Life We Really Want?
Roger Waters
Columbia
June 2

Chuck
Chuck Berry
Dualtone Music
June 9

EPs

The French Press
Rolling Blackouts Costal Fever
Sub Pop Records
March 10

Kismet
The Posse
Saddle Creek Records
March 10

Creep
No Joy
Grey Market
February 24

Wandering & Blue
Mundy’s Bay
Spinnup
June 3

Over the Wall
Mourn
Captured Tracks
September 8

Harmony of Difference
Kamasi Washington
Young Turks
September 29

Son of a Lady
Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions
Tendril Tales
September 15

Hidden Song
Delia Gonzalez
DFA Records
November 7

Lime & Limpid Green
The Claypool Lennon Delirium
ATO Records
August 4

The Besnard Lakes are the Devine Wind
The Besnard Lakes
Jagjaguwar
March 3

No comments: