Saturday, March 17, 2018

My Favorite Music of 2017, part 2


In part two of My Favorite Music of 2017 we get to combine both of my extracurricular passions—music and movies (and a little TV). I listen to just about as much soundtrack music as I do popular music. I probably even try more soundtrack music out, but these are the ones I kept coming back to over and over again throughout the year. I divided the music into three categories—movie scores, television scores and compilation soundtracks. The compilations are new to this year’s entries. Popular music has long been an element in movies, and at about the time of the Miami Vice television series producers and studios realized that good music compilation soundtracks could be additional moneymakers. They soon became a staple. I kept this list down this year, because I really don’t listen to a whole lot of pop compilation albums. But there were a few entries that really struck me this year. Here are my favorite music soundtracks of 2017. (All release dates are 2017 unless noted).

Soundtracks

Movie scores

Dunkirk
Hans Zimmer
WaterTower Music
July 21

Phantom Thread
Jonny Greenwood
Nonesuch
February 9, 2018

The Sunshine Makers
The Heliotronics
Soundway Records
July 7

Blade Runner 2049
Hans Zimmer & Benjamin Wallfisch
Epic Records Group
November 17

Good Time
Oneohtrix Point Never
Warp Records
August 11

Thor: Ragnarok
Mark Mothersbaugh
Hollywood Records
November 1

The Circle
Danny Elfman
Sony Music
May 12

The Post
John Williams
Sony Masterworks
January 12, 2018

War For the Planet of the Apes
Michael Giacchino
Sony Classical
August 4

Let Me Go
Philip Selway
Bella Union
November 3

TV score

Legion: Original Television Series Soundtrack
Jeff Russo
Lakeshore Records
March 24

Stranger Things 2: Soundtrack from the Netflix Original Series
Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein
Lakeshore Records
December 15

Twin Peaks: Original Limited Series Event Soundtrack
Angelo Badalamenti
Rhino Records
September 8

Mudbound: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Tamar-Kali
Milan Records
December 1

The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick-The Score
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
UMe
September 15

Compilation Soundtrack

Baby Driver: Music from the Motion Picture
Columbia Records Group
June 23

I, Tonya: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Milan Records
December 15

Twin Peaks: Music from the Limited Series Event
Rhino Records
September 8

The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick-The Soundtrack
UMe
September 15

Call Me By Your Name: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Sony Masterworks
November 3

No comments: